Greetings to all
THANKS TO THE KAIROS DRC LAUNCH PLANNING TEAM:
Thank you for your dedication commitment and contribution to the four-week Kairos DRC Launch
webinar. WE had our challenges and differences and this is all part of the process.
THANKS TO OUR SPEAKERS:
Thanks again to all who gave input. All the Webinars are recorded. We have collectively generated
a wealth of ideas and practical suggestions both from panellists; facilitators and attendees.
• Rev Purity Malinga Presiding Bishop of the Methodist Church of Southern Africa –
Refugees a South African church response.
• Rev Moss Ntla from Kairos SA and TEASA – the importance of a church led Kairos
• Rev Lunge Kinyamba – General Secretary DRC Inter-Religious Council/ DRC Council
of Churches- Kairos DRC work in the Congo
• Reverende Thérèse Bimpa Abulukay coordinator of the network of women of faith
and children of the CNRP/ Presbyterian Church and Inter-Religious Council
Democratic Republic of Congo. (IRC/DRC) – works with rehabilitating child soldiers in the
• Kabwe Didier Mutonji – President of Congolese in the diaspora Pietermaritzburg,
• Bridget Diana Phillips Institute for the Healing of Memories -Community Healing Programme
Co-ordinator – the need for the healing of memories for all Africans
• Ps Raphael Bahebwa Kabambire (Nehemiah Hope Project DRC/RSA; Sinai
Pentecostal Church, Durban -the future vision of a just, peaceful; healed and prosperous
THANK YOU FOR BEING PRESENT:
• The Honourable Minister: Republique Democratique Du Congo, A Son Excellence
Monsieur Le Ministre’ Raymond Tchedya Patya Ministre Délégué Des Congolais De
L’etranger/DiasporA and cabinet colleagues.
• All our attendees.
THANK YOU TO OUR FACILITATORS:
• Mrs Lubanja Tanganika Stella
• Mr Amza Brian Minga
THANK YOU TO THOSE WHO HAD HOPED TO BE WITH US BUT COULD NOT:
• Dr Denis Mukwege | Nobel Prize Laurette, – a busy surgeon and human rights activists
whose life is constantly threatened
• Daniella Gennrich Women Speak Out
• Dr Douglas Dziva, CEO KZNCC – we wish him well and full recovery after his fight with
• Ms Nancy Heron (Facilitator) (MCSA Justice and Service Desk) – death in the family
• Mr. Daniel Byamungu Dunia (Facilitator), Congolese Diaspora, Secretary General, Africa
Solidarity Network – stranded in Bujumbura trying to get home since lockdown March 2020
DOCUMENTING THE WEALTH OF INPUT:
Thank you: Bisimwa Timothee Makanishe for he summarises of the Kairos DRC document and
starting a process of pulling all this together.
We now need someone to sift through all the recordings; documented chats and produce a
Kairos DRC Launch consolidated document. Any volunteers or suggestions as to who could
do this for us?
• KZNCC has uploaded the Kairos DRC document on their webpage
• All other documents and webinar recordings have also been requested to be uploaded.
Thank you Xola Nkabinde for undertaking to do this.
We have done more than we set out to do.
We factored in two extra webinars:
1. One, responding to the crisis in Kivu Province, Kipupu and Sange (5 August). We issued
a statement which has been sent to all media and beyond. Thank you everyone for your
input and thanks to Illa Thompson who shaped it into being more media friendly.
2. Secondly a small group met with representatives of the Minister of the Congolese in the
Diaspora (19 August) to clarify how repatriation could happen. (More meetings are
A LAUNCH IS A START OF NEW ERA.
In this case it is the era of Kairos DRC.
Suggested next steps:
In my opinion the next step is to build on the ownership of the DRC Kairos by DRC Congo diaspora
and internal compatriots.
DRC CONGO KAIROS DIASPORA DRIVERS:
What is needed is DRC Kairos Diaspora drivers?
Some questions needing to be considered:
• Who from the DRC diaspora community is currently driving this process?
• Who from the DRC diaspora community will drive this process?
• What shape will this take to be effective?
• What will the goals be?
• How will Kairos DRC be promoted to all DR Congo based churches in the Diaspora?
• How will Kairos DRC be promoted to all DR Congo based religious groups in the Diaspora?
• How would Kairos DRC diaspora relate to Kairos DRC internal?
I would suggest that DRC Leadership meet and work this out.
DRC CONGO KAIROS INTERNAL:
We already have Kairos DRC drivers internally through the leadership of Rev Kinyamba & his
passionate team and Rev Dr Joel Kuvuna. working as a chaplain, a lecturer in some universities; working
in many areas of the society and attached the ECC (Protestant Church) working with all the Protestant
congregations; Dr Kuvuna has already started training pastors in the Kairos way in the DRC
KAIROS DRC EXTERNAL SOLIDARITY:
Always know that the DRC will have solidarity support from a growing group of people in South
Africa and other parts of the world. Already there is growing awareness and commitment from:
• Kairos Southern Africa;
• Methodist Church of Southern Africa;
• Anglican Church of Southern Africa;
• The Evangelical Alliance of South Africa;
• KwaZulu-Natal Christian Council;
• The Institute for the healing of memories.
• Courageous Conversations South Africa (Mining focus)
WIDENING THE SOLIDARITY NETWORK- REACHING OUT:
We need to reach out to the following:
• The African Centre for the Constructive Resolution of Disputes (ACCORD) – (Mike has already
been approached by ACCORD to look at online training for priests; ministers and pastors
throughout Africa in peace-making and peace-building – we could start in the DRC)
• South Africa Women Fight Back (They already work in solidarity with Panzi Hospital and
rape survivors in Bukavu, DRC)
• Freedom House
• South African Council of Churches
• Fellowship of Councils of Churches of Southern Africa
• All Africa Conference of Churches (Nairobi)
• Africa Methodist Council (Ghana)
• World Council of Churches (Geneva)
• Religions for Peace South Africa.
• All African Council of Religious Leaders – Religions for Peace (Nairobi)
• Religions for Peace International (New York)
• Lawyers for Human rights
• SADC Human rights Sector
• African Union Human Rights sector
• Human Rights watch
• Religious and Human rights bodies in France and Belgian
DEVELOPING LAY-FRIENDLY KAIROS DRC MATERIAL:
Should we consider developing Bible study and theological refection lay-friendly material based on
DRC Kairos Document, for mass distribution to all Congolese and Southern Africa churches?
MY OPINION ABOUT RESOURCING IN GENERAL:
We need passionate, dedicated people to drive a vision even if there is no are little funding. This
shows true commitment. Vision and pathos precede funding. Resourcing will follow enthusiastic
and passionate people. Yes, we need resourcing- this does not always translate into money.
Resourcing comes from a heart and pathos for what one believes in. Resourcing is also the time,
effort and energy giving by people.
Already the KZNCC;
• has thus far been funding and resourcing some aspects of the DRC Kairos
• has begun to work on a funding proposal (before Lockdown), however this will need input
from the drivers of DR Congolese compatriots for Kairos DRC and how this is shaped.
ONWARD AND UPWARD:
A God Healed and transformed Kivu Province for the healing and transformation of the DRC;
A God Healed and transformed DRC for the healing and transformation of Africa;
A God Healed and transformed Africa for the Healing and transformation of the World.
A God Healed and transformed World for the Healing and transformation of the Cosmos.
What are your thoughts?
Peace; Grace and Unity
Warm regards and with much gratitude