Coordinator: Rev Nkululeko A. Khumalo
• The Programe’s objective is promoting the wellbeing, resilience and dignity of children who live in exceptionally difficult circumstances and are not easily accessible because of their location, their work or their circumstances throughout KwaZulu-Natal.
• The Programe mobilizes local churches, local ecumenical organizations, local business and local families to practically contribute sustainable solutions to the plight of children at risk, protect children and promote children’s rights.
• The Programe strengthens community based initiatives and social safety nets at grassroots level, working with local churches and Local Ecumenical Action Networks (LEANs);
• The Program runs workshops to develop skills of children, raise awareness and educate communities so that there is an increased respect of children’s rights.
• The Program strengthens strategic networking and partnerships among stakeholders in order to exchange and expand knowledge, skills and experience. Lobbying and advocacy for children’s rights is a key aspect of this program as we focus on policy formation, reformation or implementation around children issues.
• The Program increases child participation where appropriate in all issues that concern them;
• The Program supports local authorities to establish and manage shelters for children living on the streets.
• The Program identifies children at risk, consults them and the surrounding communities and stakeholders so as to seek sustainable solutions such as: